Ingredients for 4 people
500 G pasta n. 13 (spaghetti)
1 kilo clams, fresh, in shells, uncooked (verace if you can find them)
Handful of parsley chopped
2-6 garlic bulbs, chopped (2 barely garlicky, 6 super garlicky)
- Dump clams out of bag and check for any broken, open, or otherwise damaged ones. Discard them. Scrub any that have tufts of algae.
- Take remaining clams and put them in a bowl of cold, salted water
- Let them sit 1 hour in the fridge in the cold water
- Dump water and any sand from the bottom of the bowl
- Repeat 2-3 times until the water is mostly clear without sand at the bottom of the bowl
- Put a large pot of salted water to boil
- Cover the bottom of a skillet with olive oil. Add diced garlic, use garlic to to taste. I like things garlicky so I usually add 4 bulbs for 2 people. Add a pinch of salt
- Cook for a few minutes on medium until garlic begins to get fragrant, but not browned, then pour in the clams. Cover and cook on medium or med/high. The clams will start to open and they will release liquid. This liquid is full of flavor so don’t let them dry out. Keep them covered, shaking the pan to stir them so they all cook evenly (about 3 min). When they are all opened uncover.
- When water is boiling add pasta.
- Cook the pasta and drain.
- Boil down the clam mixture on med/high until the liquid has concentrated. If they start to get dry, add oil. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Add the pasta into the clam mixture. Stir gently, add in parsley.
- Let cook for a minute or gently mixing well.
- Serve with shells (or without) and buon appetito!